Home  /  How Do I...  /  Apply For...  /  Business Registration

Business Registration

We wish to take this opportunity to welcome you and your business to the community! We believe that you will find great opportunities here in Federal Way, located near the I-5 corridor and our beautiful Puget Sound. Federal Way is a centrally located major city with many resources for your business.


We wish you every success in your endeavors!
If you need assistance please contact us at 253-835-2506 or click here to email us.
**On December 6, 2016 the City Council passed the 2017 Fee Schedule Resolution which includes changes to the business registration fee structure. All renewals postmarked/received AFTER December 15, 2016 will be subject to the 2017 fee structure. All new registrations received after December 6, 2016 are subject to the new fee structure. To view the 2017 business registration portion of the 2017 Fee Schedule Resolution, click here.
The City of Federal Way regulates all businesses operating within city limits per City Code 12.05.040. These include standard businesses, home occupations, temporary permits, outside contractors, right of way activity permits, day care and adult family homes. Depending on the type of business you are registering, it can take one to four weeks to process your application. Specialty licenses such as pawnbroker, second hand dealer, day care and adult family homes will need to fill out an additional application, along with the standard business license application and may take longer to review.
To find out if your business is regulated under Federal Way jurisdiction, click here to go to the King County Parcel Viewer.
The applications are in pdf format.

Physical & Mailing Address:
City of Federal Way
Business Licensing
33325 8th Ave. S.
Federal Way WA 98003

If you have further questions regarding licensing, would like an application mailed, faxed or emailed to you please contact 253.835.2506, fax 253.835.2509 or stop by the Finance Department on the second floor of City Hall. 

If you are trying to open a Pet Related business, you also need to get a Public Health Permit. Their website for Pet Related Businesses: http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/petbusinesses.aspx

2017 Business License Renewals
The 2017 online renewal portal is closed. If you would like to use a credit card to pay the 2017 renewal fee, please call 253-835-2526. 
For all other business registration questions, please call the business registration phone number at 253-835-2506.
Business Services
Free Assistance for Small Businesses
If you are a small business and would like free assistance with issues related to marketing, loan applications, forecasting, equity funding and buildings and equipment, please contact the 
Small Business Development Center through Highline College at 206.878.3710 or by email.