The City Attorney's Office consists of two divisions: Civil Division and Prosecution Division. These divisions serve the citizens of Federal Way by:
- Providing legal advice to Federal Way City Council, mayor, boards and commissions and city staff
- Representing the city’s interest in all legal actions
- Drafting city ordinances (laws) and resolutions for council consideration
- Prosecuting violations of misdemeanors and infractions in Federal Way Municipal Court
- Providing help through the legal process for victims of domestic violence
- Analyzing the city’s liabilities and recouping damages to city property
The City Attorney’s Office is prohibited from providing legal advice to citizens. Individuals needing legal assistance must retain private counsel. The King County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service can be reached at 206.267.7010.